Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Get More Out of Life with Less


By Andrew

As a recent graduate, I’ve essentially spent the last few years living out of a suitcase.  Granted I did have a home base in which to store my larger possessions, my whole life could pretty much fit into the back of a car.  It was only after I moved out of my parents place that I realized, quite frankly, I had a lot of useless junk.  In the relatively short period of time that I'd spent living in my parents’ home after graduation I had somehow acquired another vanload of personal effects.  Sure, I could still survive for about a week with what I could fit into my backpack, but the pool that I had available to draw upon seemed to keep growing.
    


Spurred partially by shock and partially by the necessity of a smaller living space, I began to think about living a more minimalist lifestyle.  Now I’m not saying that I traded all of my possessions for bare walls and clean lines.  What I’m saying is that I held onto only what I deemed necessary.  I have attempted to eliminate clutter and the obsession for the latest and greatest that has come to plague the lives of today’s young adults.  In doing so I have come to appreciate more of the little things.  I’m taking the time to learn how to be a better cook, to read more, and take pleasure in the company of friends.  Rather than sit stagnantly in front of the television waiting for excitement to find me, I’m taking the initiative and taking advantage of the things that my world has to offer.

In addition to reducing my personal effects, my roommate and I had also decided to cut our cable connection. That's right, our only connection to the outside world is conversation, newspapers, the odd channel we get through antenna, and of course, the internet.  To be completely honest, other than that empty space in my heart that the Discovery Channel used to fill, I don't miss it at all.  With cable it is so easy to fall into the trap of plopping down onto the couch and letting the evening hours just pass you by.  Well no more!  I've been cable free for over 6 months now.  I'm still up to date on current world events, and even catch the odd show at my own convenience through streaming sites.  The internet has become a beautiful thing and has definitely helped me figure out ways to get more from less.
    
If you’re at all interested in attempting to eliminate some of the clutter from your life I don’t suggest throwing things out left, right, and centre.  The easiest first step is to eliminating clutter from your life is to just think critically before you buy something.  Ask yourself, is this really necessary?  More often than not, the item that you were going to buy was superfluous.  By first limiting the new material entrants from your home, you will get a better idea for what you truly need.  In addition to this, you’ll be saving a relatively nice chunk of your earnings for the future or for the things that really matter.
    
So, the next time you find yourself eying the next shiny object that crosses your path, take a step back and think.  Will this really make me happy; do I need this?  If it will, and that piece will be with you for a long time, then by all means, buy it.  If not, why not meet up with some friends, go for a run, or start re-learning that hobby that you keep putting on the back burner?  There’s no time to improve and learn like the present.  And who knows, you may just rediscover the lost art of conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment