Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

DIY Culture

By Andrew

Throughout our history, our species has relied on what we were able to create to quickly adapt to new environments.  As we developed tools and techniques, the ideas behind these were passed down to successive generations forming a cultural tradition.  For as long as we have existed, we Homo sapiens have used our tools and our intellects to conquer challenges set before us.  In fact, fossil records of our cultural traditions date back as far as Homo habilis in the form of stone tools which were used to shape our ancestor’s immediate environment.  If tool use is so imbedded in our evolutionary history, why then do you suppose so many of us today are unable to complete tasks that require a modicum of intellectual and physical dexterity?  I don’t believe that this has resulted because we are incapable of the task; I believe it happened because we have grown lazy.  Many others have reached this conclusion, and with it, a resurgence of DIY culture is emerging.


It is abundantly clear that we in the western world currently live in a disposable consumerist culture.  When something breaks, we simply fork out some money to replace it or call the repair man.  I believe that it was not until recently as a result of the economic downturn that the average person finally realized how wasteful their habits had become.  Modern electronics offer a prime example of wasteful spending and feelings of helplessness when something breaks.  Why though are many of us afraid or unwilling to try to repair our broken electronics, often reaching the conclusion that when one breaks, simply buy a new one?  If this is the conclusion that you generally reach, why not attempt a repair yourself; you were just going to throw it out anyway.  I will cite an example of my latest electronic failing.

Not a month ago I found myself in the possession of an xbox360 that suffered from the all too common red ring of death.  As I stared at it in disbelief I contemplated forking over the $300 to buy a new one weighing the pros and cons of no longer having it in my life.  After about a day of pondering I had concluded that I was not going to be giving any more money to Microsoft, I was going to try to fix this now excessively large paperweight myself.

Let me start off by saying that the Internet is a phenomenal tool.  In about 5 minutes I had found about 10 resources telling me how to diagnose what was specifically wrong with my 360 and how to go about fixing it.  Of course, there was the standard suggestion wrap the xbox in a towel and turn it on letting it overheat to create some interesting new circuit connectionsIt sounded easy, however, that fix often results in a more permanent failure down the road.  I later settled on a wonderfully detailed fix that was slightly more involved on a website called instructables.  With a little bit of tinkering and about an hour’s worth of work I had in my possession a working xbox360.  The only problem I came across early after the repair was that I had tightened the heat sinks too much.  After further adjusting and tweaking I had done it.  Saved myself $300, saved space in the landfill, and it felt pretty damn good about it too!

I am not aware of any studies done on the subject, but common sense and experience suggests that creating and repairing your things results in an increased sense of self-worth and happiness.  By taking the time to understand how something works and as a result how to build and/or mend it, you will no longer feel helpless when that object breaksI can also guarantee that you will stop taking things for granted and begin to realize the effort that goes into making your everyday items.

Today, saying “I don’t know how” is inexcusable.  With DIY culture experiencing a renaissance, several online communities have developed and provide instructions to a wide variety of tasks and projects.  A few that come to mind are instructables, Make, Craft, and Wikihow.  Just remember, some online instructions are better than others and being a do-it-yourselfer does not make you an expert.  If a project proves to be too big it may be in your best interest to consult with someone who is more experienced, or a professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment