Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Sense of Nostalgia

By Andrew

A sense of nostalgia is a rare thing found with the products that we find flooding our homes today. It has become the norm to buy something knowing that it will break and simply replace it with an identical, or improved version. This is a simple choice within today’s marketplace because consumer goods are frequently made cheaply at a low price. An attractive alternative to paying sometimes double the amount for something that is well made for the same task.
While convenient, the option of replacing a damaged object is not necessarily the best choice from an environmental or economic standpoint. Purchasing a quality item will pay off in the long term in both these circumstances. Not only that, you might find that you may become quite attached to these items and the places that they have travelled with you. To some, they can take on a life of their own and tell a story about where they, and you have been.

Citing one such example, I would like to tell you the story of my faithful boots. I purchased my #500 series Blundstones from the Australian Boot Company in the fall of 2004. I admit that they weren’t the most attractive things, especially in a size 12, but they were made of sturdy leather and had a thick rubber sole. From the moment I put them on they were unbelievably comfortable and I quickly adopted them as my daily footwear when the weather was suitable for pants. Throughout their life up until the present day they have been everywhere with me. They have taken me all over Toronto and its various suburbs, to Montreal, Ottawa, Parry Sound, New York, west to Vancouver, and north to Alaska. As a result of their travels, they bare the scars of adventure. Well worn and becoming stripped of their soles, these 6 year old shoes are entering old age. However, I don’t believe that they are anywhere near reaching the end of their journey.

This summer I had my beloved Blundstones resoled at Roy's Shoe Repair Bar at the Manulife Centre. Both boots were repaired for a total of $40, a price that is quite attractive given their original sale price. By resoling my boots I’ve made both an environmentally and economically responsible decision. In addition to reusing 90% of the Blundstone, I’ve helped to support a local business. Most importantly, I’ll be keeping my old friends alive to travel with me for another day. So until the day when I must bid them a final farewell, I shall treat the leather at the end of every season to keep the leather soft and un-cracked, ready for our next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment